Are you as hooked on quinoa as I am? If you haven't yet joined this new food craze, it's far time you do so. Quinoa is a fantastic little ingredient, which works like any other grain (think rice, barley etc...) and is absolutely PACKED with protein and fiber. If you haven't tried it yet, look for it in your local grocery store; it's even sold now at Costco!
The recipe I have for you today is a colorful, delicious, and healthy side that is sure to please. With bright greens, yellows, and reds from the fresh zucchini, yellow squash, and cherry tomatoes, this beautiful quinoa salad is light and refreshing and comes together in minutes. You can enjoy this salad hot or cold, as a side for dinner or as a hearty lunch. Each way is equally delicious and a perfect addition to your recipe box.
- If you haven't cooked with quinoa before, make sure that you rinse the little grains well in a fine mesh strainer, otherwise it may have a bitter taste. I use my reusable coffee filter, which works great, but any strainer with VERY small holes will work!
- Check out this short video for a quick and easy way to slice through all of your cherry tomatoes at once!
Quinoa with Sautéed Veggies
Yield: 6 side dish or 4 lunch sized portions
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa - rinsed well
- 2 cups water, chicken stock, OR vegetable stock
- 1 small-medium zucchini - sliced into 1/4 inch half moons
- 1 small-medium yellow squash - sliced into 1/4 inch half moons
- 1 small sweet onion - diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - sliced in half (see video above)
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 tbls. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbls fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- In a medium-large sauce pan, combine quinoa and water/broth and prepare as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, preheat 1 tbls. olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and squash to onions. Sauté until all vegetables are tender, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add minced garlic and halved cherry tomatoes for the last minute of cook time. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice and remaining olive oil.
- In a large bowl combine cooked quinoa, sautéed veggies, olive oil/ lemon juice mixture, fresh parsley and parmesan (if using). Stir to fully combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy hot or cold.