The temperature in New England dropped considerably this week, bringing with it the welcomed breath of cool crisp air. Combine that with a big pot of soup simmering on the stove, the constant murmur of football in the living room all day Sunday, and even a few trees changing color, and there is no denying it - fall is here, and I love it.
This past weekend Ryan and I went apple picking with some of our good friends, and we came home with a truckload of honey crisp apples and bosc pears. Even as we were picking I was thinking about the first things I would make, and by the time I was home I already had a full list. So far I have apple pancakes, apple bread, and apple bars under my belt, (or rather in my stomach...) and I am looking forward to some applesauce and apple butter next. I hope you’re ready for some serious apple recipes in the next few weeks :)
Up first is a wonderfully moist and perfectly sweet Apple Cinnamon Bread, which is seasoned with the warm spices and flavors of fall. What’s more, this bread not only tastes amazing, but it smells incredible too. Simply breathing in the aroma of the bread as it bakes is enough to make one excited for light coats, fall boots, and a relaxing stroll through the colorful crunching leaves. With the comforting flavors of apple, cinnamon, allspice and cloves permeating the sweet bread, this easy recipe is ideal for breakfast, as a snack, or even as a simple dessert.
I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but I can't. I adapted it from Two Peas and Their Pod, which is a fantastic blog filled with outstandingly delicious recipes. If you have not been there, you should definitely check it out!
What is your favorite fall food? Let me know below!
Apple Cinnamon Bread
Yields: 1 loafIngredients:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. all spice
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar – packed
- 2 medium Honey Crisp apples (or your favorite apple) peeled and shredded – I used my food processor.
- The original recipe dices the apples into small chunks, which you could also do and yield a slightly different texture.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8x4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, all spice, and cloves. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the eggs and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add the oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add in brown and granulated sugar and mix until fully combined.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until flour is JUST combined.
- Gently fold in the shredded apple.
- Transfer batter into prepared loaf pan.
- To make the topping, mix together the brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the batter in the loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until loaf is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Loosen sides and remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.