While at the grocery store following our conversation, I was inspired to buy a bag of these delicious potatoes and immediately started brainstorming what to make with them. At first I thought of simply roasting them with a little olive oil and sea salt or cutting them into wedges to make sweet potato fries (recipes to come!), but given our dreary weather as of late, I decided first to make a hearty soup.
In addition to the sweet potatoes, this chili is filled with quinoa and black beans, rendering a perfectly balanced, protein packed, vegan friendly meal. What more could you ask for? What’s more, it is ready in 30 minutes and is one of those wonderful soups that tastes better and better as it sits. Make a big batch and enjoy it all week long.
What is your favorite way to eat sweet potatoes? Let me know below!
Sweet Potato Black Bean ChiliServes: 4 (can easily double for 8)
Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato - peeled and diced (I did about a 3/4 inch dice)
- 1 large vidalia onion - diced (may substitute other onion as well, I prefer the sweetness of the vidalia)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tbls. chili powder - depending on how spicy you like your chili
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt (or more to taste, depending on the saltiness of your broth)
- 4 cups vegetable OR chicken broth
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dried quinoa - rinsed well
- 1 tbls. lime juice (optional)
- Optional toppings - sour cream, cheese, avocado, green onions, cilantro
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat.
- Add sweet potato and onion and sauté for about 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add in garlic cloves, chili powder, and salt, and sauté and additional minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, black beans, and quinoa. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until quinoa is fully cooked and sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add in lime juice, if using, and season with salt as needed.
- Garnish with desired toppings and enjoy!
Recipe slightly adapted from What's Gabby Cooking